Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Ouch!

I decided to join Gold's Gym last week. Mostly because without my mom here I can't make time for a good workout and I really needed a break from the kids while Ian was away on a business trip. Gold's has daycare included in the monthly fee and I can leave them for up to 90min. They have a pool, steam room and hot tub too. I was excited to get into lifting again. It gives me instant confidence. Unfortunately I didn't foresee the not so instant muscle soreness. The day after I flat out couldn't walk. Today is a little better but it still hurts to get up from sitting. Sneezing hurts a little too. Ibuprofen didn't even touch the pain yesterday and sleeping was even difficult. Thats a lesson in starting slowly. The thing with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is that it comes a day later, sometimes two days after the workout. So if you are doing an exercise for the first time in a while take it easy. And never workout if your muscles are still sore. The soreness comes from tiny tears in the muscle tissue. This is good because those tears rebuild into stronger muscle, unfortunately it hurts. I forgot how important stretching after lifting is. It helped a lot when I was training for the figure competition 2 years ago. I'm at a plateau with my weight, that I'm sure will pass in a week or two. In the mean time I'll enjoy having a gym membership again and ease into lifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment